Sunday, November 06, 2005

Global Threadbare


Taking art to the streets. Work doesn’t have to be legitimized as art by a gallery. I mentioned previously that I think an important role as an artist is to articulate alternative spaces. For me this means finding other ways to experience art and exercise art practices. “Global Threadbare” is a work in progress. Its part of an ongoing excavation of external expressions of self (such as clothes) to examine internal processes of relating to the outside world.

My friend and fellow artist Mica (see the link to her blog) are working together to explore social interactions through art. I brought “Global Threadbare” out with us on the town. Taking art work out of its normal context is quite a good way to see if and how it relates to its surroundings and to see how its surroundings relate to it. It got a few reactions – a few puzzled looks and a few smiles. I actually felt more like a pregnant woman with a belly that bumped into things-the way some people smiled at me. I will keep this blog posted of our endeavours.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'll be watching out for you and your wacky art down town.